Updating Your Name & Gender

Update your preferred name on RAMWeb

The CSU Admissions application allows students to indicate their preferred first name before they even come to campus. If you filled that out, that is the name that will appear in the system. Enrolled students can manage their preferred first names through RAMWeb, on the Manage Student Record menu. Once a change is requested, it will begin to appear in most University records. There are a few places where students will need to take an additional step(s) to indicate a name change, so keep scrolling to learn more.

You can add a preferred name in RamWeb by completing the following steps:

  1. Visit Ramweb
  2. Sign in with your EID and password.
  3. Click on “Records” on the right hand side, near the bottom.
  4. Select “Change My Preferred First Name”
  5. Enter your preferred name and save.

FAQ About Preferred Names

Does my preferred name show up in FAMWeb so my family can see it?

  • No, your Legal Name is the only name that is used in FAMWeb.
  • A heads up though - it is possible that your Preferred Name may be used in communication from Orientation, Housing, and more, so we cannot guarantee that your family or parents will not see your preferred name.

How do I know where my Legal Name shows up vs my Chosen Name?

What other steps do I need to take to update my name throughout campus?

See the drop-down menu below to find additional steps you may need to take to fully update your preferred name throughout campus.


For folks who have gone through legal processes to update their legal name or gender marker on documents like drivers licenses or passports, you are able to update CSU records with these changes.

To change your legal gender marker or legal name, follow the directions below.

  1. Visit Ramweb
  2. Sign in with your EID and password.
  3. Click on Menu, select Records, and then Manage Student Records.
  4. Select the item you would like to update, such as "Gender".
  5. Your current record will display on the screen. Click the "Edit" button in the top right corner.
  6. Edit your information.
  7. Upload a copy of your new documentation. This upload is a secure uploading site. This copy will remain in your student records.
  8. Hit submit.

The Office of the Registrar will process these changes. It is not an automatic change, so there may be some rollover time. This update should permeate through all student records.

For questions or further instructions, contact the Registrar at (970) 491-4860.

Have questions about completing a Legal Name or Gender Change?

Colorado Name Change Project is a great place to start. They are a local organization dedicating to helping folx update their records to their true name and gender and provide financial assistance as well.